If I tell you NOT to think of a pink elephant… what image instantly comes to mind?
Yep, a pink elephant.
Two things you need to understand about this.
One, is that the mind thinks in pictures.
Every word you use when talking to OR writing to others, conjures up a certain image in their mind.
And these images evoke certain feelings and emotions in people. (Remember yesterday’s post about emotion vs. logic?)
The other thing is, you CAN’T tell someone NOT to imagine something (i.e. a pink elephant)
If I tell you not to worry, what image/feeling gets tapped into?
When communicating with others, you’ve got to be EXTRA careful NOT to use words that can bring up negative images and emotions that will interfere with what you’re trying to do, and often cause the person to do the opposite.
It’s called talking your prospect OUT of the sale.
And we do it all the time…
Which is to avoid fear producing words.
Here’s a short list of 11 words YOU NEVER want to use in sales…
As you read them, pay attention to the images and the emotions you’re experiencing.
1. Cost or Price vs. Total Amount or Total Investment
2. Monthly Payment vs. Monthly Amount
3. Contract vs. Paperwork or Agreement
4. Buy vs. Own
5. Sell or Sold vs. Get involved
6. Deal vs. Opportunity
7. Sign vs. Ok, approve, endorse, or authorize
8. Pitch vs. Presentation
9. Problem vs. Challenge
10. Objections vs. Areas of Concern
11. Cheaper vs. Less Expensive or More Economical
When you read or hear monthly payment, doesn’t that get you all excited – “oh great I’ll have another monthly payment…”
Or when someone says – “this is a great deal”… doesn’t that bring up all kinds of “positive” images… we’ve all heard of “deals”, right?
I had to learn these years ago, and they’re drilled into my head so much, that I cringe any time I hear someone use them in a sales situation… and it happens ALL THE TIME.
When you’re communicating with your prospect, whether on the phone, face to face, or online through your sales letters, emails, and videos…
… pay close attention to each word you use and how it will effect the other person as they hear it or read it.
It makes ALL difference in how you come across.
Painting a picture in the mind of your prospect of all the benefits they’ll receive by getting involved with you is just ONE of the FIVE pieces of the puzzle in structuring a compelling sales copy…
… whether you use it in an email, a blog post, or a full blown sales letter.
Copywriters Guild will show you how to put together all five of the pieces to creating irresistible copy…
… PLUS, one of the bonuses you get is Magic Words & Phrases You Can Steal To Quickly & Easily Write Killer Copy…
… which has 230 words hand picked from the best headlines and copywriting promotions of all time.
You can literally plug them in and INSTANTLY electrify every single piece of copy, email, article, video or audio you create.
Here’s a breakdown of everything you get:
- 7 Video Modules covering every aspect of writing an emotionally provoking copy and crafting irresistible offers…
- Audio sessions to go with each module (over 12 hours of in depth copywriting discussions between David Garfinkel, Tim Erway and Jesse Jameson)
– Stick them in your iPod when working out, walking your dog or listen to them in your car… you’ll hear dozens of money making tips to help you boost all your ads and sales content.
- 7 Free Bonus Reports which reveal…
– 4 Ways to add profit boosting personalization to your copy…
– 5 Dangerous traps to avoid that kill your sales message…
– 3 Specific ways copy fails, and how to turn them around…
– 5 Characteristics of a winning copy (and how to easily profit from this information)
And a whole lot more…
… Mastering this skill will be worth its weight in gold to you.